On 22/04/13 20:31, Michael Mol wrote:
> On 04/22/2013 05:40 AM, Michael Hampicke wrote:
>> Am 22.04.2013 03:06, schrieb Michael Mol:
>>> So, I'm setting up number of kvm guests running Gentoo. KVM guests have
>>> a pretty limited set of device drivers they need to support.

>> [1] http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Virtio
>>

> For video, I tend to use Cirrus. (I'll get the serial console stuff
> figured out eventually; I know how that works in the guest, but haven't
> prodded it in the host.) I didn't see a guest-side driver for vmvga, and
> I have no idea what qxl is. (I didn't hit search engines for it, I was
> merely searching around via menuconfig's / search.)

qxl is the guest video driver for "spice", a vnc/rdesktop like
connection to the guest either via the libvirt console, or across the
network vnc fashion.   Its supposed to be "great", but maybe I need to
tune it some more as I cant see much of an advantage over the other two yet.

The virtio stuff is good, but can be a chore to setup - especially in
windows guests (have to download drivers then spend extra time/reboots
to install them, and disks especially are a pain to get working).

BillK