On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 14:37 -0400, Dave Nebinger wrote:
> > When I returned home from work I found in the logs, that ``emerge
> > --emptytree system'' failed at package 28 of 186
> >
> > python-fcksum-1.7.1
> > i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc ....bla...bla
> > ^
> > |
> > +- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > gcc-config error:
> >  could not run/locate "i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc"
>
> My guess is that during the -emptytree system emergence that gcc was built
> to target your system.
>
> Sometimes when this happens the internal build system gets a little confused
> when it is time to switch over, but this is easily resolved by running the
> fix_libtool_files.sh script in /sbin.
>
> You would need to do this when you get errors similar to that listed above.
>
> The good news is that you'll only need to do this during the beginning when
> the system is being built from scratch; once you're up and running you
> normally won't need to do this again.

I don't get You at this point. I'll have to start ''emerge --emptytree
system'', wait until it crashes, run ''fix_libtool_files.sh'' and run
''emerge --emptytree system'' ones more, hoping that it won't crash this
time?

Or should I go to a second virtual console, chroot there too, wait until
gcc was built on the first console and run ''fix_libtool_files.sh'' from
there?

''emerge system'' builds glibc, gcc, gcc-config (yes there is "Switching
native compiler to i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.6" in the log) and then the
packages for which the build crashes. How can I run
''fix_libtool_files.sh'' between ONE COMMAND??????

> > automake-1.25-r3
> >  autoconf-2.58 or better is required
> >
> > Why the hell do we try to install x versions of autoconf and
> > automake?????
>
> Because packages have individual automake/autoconf version requirements.
> Each automake/autoconf is slotted, they don't take up much disk, and they're
> good to have around for a successful emerge.
>
> > So my presumption for the time demand of a Gentoo installation looks
> > like this.
> >
> > A breakage will occure every 15'th package (2 breakages during the first
> > 30 within 2 days).
>
> That's an analysis based upon two initial emptytree emerges.  I would expect
> that for the 200 package estimate that you're using you will probably
> encounter a total of 4 breaks (I think that's what I had, it was so long
> ago, but there was one fix_libtool_files.sh run and a couple of changes to
> /etc/portage/package.keywords to enable ~x86 versions of a few packages
> where I needed a later version).
>
> Completing an install in 4 days will not be a problem if you have the time
> to check on the emerge process every now and then and resolve the minor
> problems that crop up.
>
> > So which distribution would you suggest me to install during less than 4
> > days? I'm wondering about Slackware.
>
> You can still stick with gentoo ;-)
>
> If you don't have the time to watch over the stage 1 build process, you can
> jump straight to a stage 3 then update packages from there.

Well, that's the same ads installing Fedora (within 2 hours).