> > If you don't have the time to watch over the stage 1 build process, you
> > can jump straight to a stage 3 then update packages from there.
>
> Well, that's the same ads installing Fedora (within 2 hours).
With respect, that is NOT the same as installing fedora.  This laptop has had
fedora, suse, mandrake(then mandriva), and now gentoo.  With all but gentoo,
in kde, my memory was at 95% utilized, and swap at 10%.  With gentoo, in kde,
memory is 46% free and swap 100% free.  The system runs faster, boots faster,
and shuts down faster.  I used stage 3 install and built kde with emerge
kde-meta (okay, so THAT took 16 hours).  Even starting with a stage 3, this
is a better, more responsive system.  And since I built the kernel from
source to start with, patching it is easier.  Not saying you shouldn't expect
a stage 1 install to work, but even with a stage 3, there's no comparison.
--
John Jolet
Your On-Demand IT Department