On Monday 11 May 2009, Michael Higgins wrote:
> On Tue, 05 May 2009 17:49:06 +0100
>
> Graham Murray <gra...@gmurray.org.uk> wrote:
> > Michael Higgins <li...@evolone.org> writes:
> > > Is there a useful Gentoo document anyone might suggest describing
> > > how one *connects to* a VPN device of the 'Microsoft' flavour "with
> > > IPSEC"?
> >
> > I do not know about a Gentoo document,
>
> I've been working on this for *waaaaay* too long, with no apparent success.
> I have racoon and l2tpt running, but no network addresses in the VPN.
>
> Does anyone understand the actual procedure(s) for making a VPN like, l2tp,
> IPSEC "pre-shared secret" connection, and wish to elaborate just a bit on
> the issues (config files, possible values) involved?
>
> I mean, the ebuild for ipsec-tools doesn't even put in half the config
> files... as if any of this could work at all without them?
>
> Any help appreciated. :(

Any progress with this guys?  I am also trying to get something running
between a router and my laptop (using kvnc) but I am failing with this error:
=====================================
info: Gateway hostname (my.remote_router.com) resolved to "XX.XXX.XXX.XX".
error: [racoon helper
err] /home/michael/.kde3.5/share/apps/kvpnc//setkey.ROUTER.sh: line 6: -f:
command not found
error: [racoon err] racoon: must be root to invoke this program.

I am not sure that I want to run kvnc as root - after all it is a GUI
application ...

Worth nothing that unlike the OP my remote router is not running MS l2tp, but
IPSec with PSK.
--
Regards,
Mick