On Tuesday 19 May 2009, Michael Higgins wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2009 13:57:21 -0500
>
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Based on a brief googling I didn't see anyone who has a working
> > connection to a Checkpoint VPN.
>
> Thanks, Paul. I've already the "solution", as I'm not so much trying to get
> something accomplished (access machines "inside" which I can do just fine
> with SSH tunnel), as to figure out why we have these various, related, open
> source software packages available but no basic client-to-corporate
> "real-world" implementations specifically outlined for the Gentoo community
> -- that I can find. :(
>
> Just a definitive answer to "which Gentoo packages and USE flags to I need
> to emerge so to do this"? .. would be a HUGE help (as weeks later I *still*
> don't know for sure). And if 60%+ of the folks following it got lucky with
> cut-n-paste from a how-to, then... great!
>
> Say if all the related items were configured, tested and ultimately failed,
> if documented publicly it'd at the least serve as a good template for
> anyone else trying to troubleshoot a VPN connection when using Gentoo on a
> client machine.
>
> Or, should I instead, just go outside and play? I thought someone else here
> had hoped to make something like this work... ;-)

I very much share your frustration.  On and off (OK, mostly off) I have been
trying to get a VPN connection to my router going, and have tried vnpc, kvpn
and racoon all of which failed.  Meanwhile, a friend tried the shrew VPN
client and succeeded after a couple of hours of tweaking his Vista box!
Arrrgh!

I assume that I have all the right components installed (judging from the wiki
pages) but I am not sure about my configuration.  Unlike your set up which
seems to be almost there, mine won't even complete stage 1 handshake.  Very,
very, very frustrating ...

Sorry that I can't be of much help with this.  :(
--
Regards,
Mick