On 24 Oct 2009, at 22:51, Dave Jones wrote:
How presumptuous of you to say so. Has the gentoo-user group become the resource of last-resort? Has gentoo-user become restricted, to be used only when all other avenues of exploration have been exhausted? If that
is so, then shame on me, I must have missed that announcement too.

I'm really in two minds about posting this, because the above is so aggravating and whiny. Getting on a soap-box and complaining about the other list users (i.e. me and us) seems to imply that it's somehow everyone else's responsibility to fix your problem for you.

However, I'm wondering if the original suggestion to search the find archives might have antagonised you less if it had been phrased differently. Mention of "the KDE upgrade before that, and the libxcb thing, xorg-1.6, and dbus/hal" only seem to have confused matters; "hashed to death" may be an exaggeration, as I can only (immediately) find the one thread.

Perhaps if Alan had asked "did you read last week's thread on this subject?" you might have gone and found:

   http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/199323

Stroller.