From: "Kuredjian, Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Newbie Questions!
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:46:27 -0400

I'm currently in University on my Co-op term as a COBOL programmer for host systems (zOS). I have a few basic questions regarding the zArchitecture that I can't seem to elicit answers to from my co-workers. The questions are as follows:

1. zOS has a kernel called the BCP, or Base Control Program. In Linux or Windows, it's established that the kernel runs on a general purpose CPU( PowerPC, x86, MIPS, etc...); however, I would like to know if such a central CPU exists in the mainframe, and if that central CPU is of some common architecture like, POWER. If not, are there any documents that I can look into that will describe the CPU architecture for me?

2. ESCON and FICON are data busses used for external storage devices, but what does the mainframe use for internal data bus, InfiniBand, HyperTransport?

3. Does the mainframe use common interconnects on the hardware level? I'm thinking of PCIe, PCI-X, MCA, or PCI.

That's all for now, but I'm sure subsequent answers will generate follow-up questions on my part. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/