--------------------------<snip>------------------------------
Well, it looks like SAS is pricing itself out of our range. Or management is just doesn't think that we are getting our moneys worth or ...

Anyway, other than using HLASM or maybe <shudder> COBOL, anybody have any suggestions how to easily do some "ad hoc" type SMF reporting? What would be really nice would be some sort of SMF to XML output program. I really like the IRRADU00 output (RACF SMF data translated to XML). I download that to my PC and run Java against it. If necessary, I could even develop and test the Java code on my PC and run the application on the mainframe once it is working. (or use Co:Z to ship the XML to my Linux system and run the code there with the response going back to the mainframe).
Let me point out that PL/1 lends itself very nicely to processing of SMF data, with offset variables, etc. It's a little more work than just SAS processing, but the various data types in PL/1 can map SMF data variables very nicely. SAS was very effectively priced out of our shop long ago, and they were not willing to negotiate at all on the pricing issue.