It's not the ability to map SMF data that counts here - for anyone
considering doing this in a programming language other than SAS (or indeed
replacing ANY commercial SMF analysis product). It's the "intellectual
capital" involved in knowing what to do with the data.

So I, personally, wouldn't recommend moving away from products that
manipulate the data. Unless you have an issue with their ability to "do
the right thing" with the specific SMF data in question. It would seem to
me to be moving away from the "folklore" pack and into shark-infested
waters on your own. :-)

Martin

Martin Packer
Performance Consultant