Barry A Schwarz wrote on 06/16/2008 02:15:19 PM:
> If you post a message with DFSORT and SMF in the title, I'll Frank will
> respond with some suggestions if not a complete example.

DFSORT/ICETOOL has some formats for handling "special" SMF fields,
but it doesn't have any built-in features for handling "triplets"
or the complex record types SMF builds.  It only handles "linear"
records. You would have to be able to address the fields you want
by their linear starting positions in order to use DFSORT/ICETOOL
for that kind of  processing.

That said, FWIW, here's a couple of simple ICETOOL examples for SMF records
from "z/OS DFSORT Application Programming Guide":

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/ICE1CA20/6.7.5.12?SHELF=&DT=20060615185603&CASE=

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/ICE1CA20/6.7.5.13?SHELF=&DT=20060615185603&CASE=

I think Martin Packer might have done some "tinkering" with using
DFSORT/ICETOOL for SMF reports,  so maybe he has something to add on
the subject.

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Specialties: PARSE, JFY, SQZ, ICETOOL, IFTHEN, OVERLAY, Symbols, Migration

 => DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort/