On 16 Jun 2008 13:16:44 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

> [...]

With reference modification available, the only things that are
awkward in COBOL are bit switches and the 1 byte binary fields.  I
have written usage programs that parse the SMF 14/15, 30 and 64
records.  If IBM would just implement the data types in the 2002
standard including the new floating point usages as IEEE, COBOL the
above caveats would go away and COBOL would play nicer with JAVA.
COMP-1 and COMP-2 could be retained for hex floating point so a single
COBOL program could have both types of floating point.  YES there is a
SHARE requirement for this.