On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Raphael Geissert wrote:

> As mentioned on my other post, at Debian we are planning to include
> 5.3 in Squeeze. Given that the development and production php.ini
> files both turn short_open_tag by default but many applications
> shipped by Debian itself still require it to be enabled, we have
> decided to _enable_ it again on the .ini files.

Would it be possible to force short_open_tag to a specific value for
those applications alone? Perhaps through an .htaccess file? That way,
Debian keeps the "PHP default" but still allows those apps to work.

> However, we would like to contribute in the quest to make applications
> stop using short_open_tag. To do so, we have decided to throw an
> E_DEPRECATED warning when an application makes use of short_open_tag.
> The current implementation can be found at [1].
>
> How does this sound?

Like Rasmus said, we've no intention of deprecating it. It's just that
apps requiring short open tags are not really portable (because they
don't work when short_open_tag is set to 0).

with kind regards,
Derick

--
http://derickrethans.nl | http://xdebug.org