Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> Then we have to have logic to differentiate <? from <?xml, for example.
>  It would make the parser quite a bit more complex if we have to start
> parsing stuff outside of the active open tags.  Not sure it is worth the
> effort nor the extra overhead.

Isn't something similar already done?

I was thinking that making short_open_tag runtime-only would be the best
solution (applying it only to include/require files, not on the same script
enabling the option), but given the amount of necessary code and behaviour
changes it is unsuitable for 5.3 (and somebody needs to be willing to do
that).

I'm not aware of something similar being proposed before, so, what do you
think?

I'm still looking for a way to warn about the use of open_short_tag not
being explicitly enabled on the PERDIR level. Otherwise the only thing I see
would make applications change would be when the default is Off and they
break.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer