Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> Raphael Geissert wrote:
>> However, we would like to contribute in the quest to make applications
>> stop using short_open_tag. To do so, we have decided to throw an
>> E_DEPRECATED warning when an application makes use of short_open_tag. The
>> current implementation can be found at [1].
>>
>> How does this sound?
>
> We have no plans to deprecate the short open tag.  So throwing an
> E_DEPRECATED would not be appropriate.

True. An idea I just had was to continue throwing E_DEPRECATED (or a warning
with a most appropriate name, if one is added) iff short tags are used
without explicitly enabling them at runtime.

I haven't looked at how the short_open_tag runtime switch was implemented so
I don't know if it's possible or not.

This would for example make the following code throw a warning:

foo.php
<?
// ...
?>

But not this one:

bar.php
<?php
// ...
include("./foo.php");
?>

Does that sound more reasonable? or do you have another idea?

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net