Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> Raphael Geissert wrote:
>> I'm still looking for a way to warn about the use of open_short_tag not
>> being explicitly enabled on the PERDIR level. Otherwise the only thing I
>> see would make applications change would be when the default is Off and
>> they break.
>
> But why do you want them to change?  Short tags are convenient and if
> the app doesn't have to worry about <?xml or <?xsl type stuff, it can
> run happily with short tags enabled.

Because it is just not about the application but the whole system. With the
apache filter SAPI enabling short_open_tag is really a no-op. As for the
other SAPIs it mostly depends on what kind of files are used and whether an
extension such as htscanner is at hand or not.

If that's not available, having to change the settings for every application
is a mess. By making it a runtime-only option they would always work.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net