Back in my beginning days, a teacher told me to use temporary support pins any
time it helped me out.  I use them a lot.  I tend to use the long yellow-headed
pins as temporary pins so they stand up among the gaggle of pins on the pillow,
and I pull them out when they are 3-4 rows back.  They don't stay in long
enough for the pinhole to get set.  If I intend to leave the extra pin in, I'll
use a normal pin.  The pins are just there to control and herd the threads into
position.  When you have a cantankerous thread, you have to give it extra help.
 When a thread changes direction, a pin is most helpful in keeping everything
in order.

Alice in Oregon (where winter keeps going on -- freezing rain yesterday and
snow tomorrow)