From: Barbara Levergood [mailto:leverg...@att.net]
Sent: 01 December 2014 16:40
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] TMG looking for new home Legacy vs RootsMagic 7

Thanks, Cheryl, for not staying out of it :). A lot of us TMG users are trying
to figure out how we can do things in our new software. This is very hard
sometimes because we are not nearly as familiar with the new software, because
it is often hard to think outside of the TMG "box", and because we have such
long lists of workarounds we are trying to find. So, any feasible ideas are
welcome! They may not work for all, but they may work for some.

For those who do not knot their undies easily ... I experimented with putting
the number or letter in parens, say (11), after any real suffix.
The parens would distinguish the code from any true Prefix or Suffix that I
have and from the RINs (displayed as [11]) and user IDs (displayed as {11}).
Another nice thing about the prefix/suffix solution is that those fields are
searchable. So, I could search for all persons coded "(11)" or for all persons
coded at all ("("). This is not a replacement for more tags (which can be set
via Advanced Tagging), but it might be a feasible workaround for some.

Another possibility would be to treat the Legacy Tags as one would a 9-bit
binary number.  However, to distinguish 10 lines, you would need to use only 4
Tags. Where T is tagged and u is untagged:
Tags -     1234
Line 1 -  uuuT
Line 2 -  uuTu
Line 3 -  uuTT
Line 4 -  uTuu
Line 5 -  uTuT
Line 6 -  uTTu
Line 7 -  uTTT
Line 8 -  Tuuu
Line 9 -  TuuT
Line 10 - TuTu

This would have the advantage that one would learn to count to 10 in binary
very quickly.

Barbara L.

--

Barbara Levergood