On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 7:05 AM Edward K. Ream wrote:

*Summary*

> I rarely want to insert many tracing or debugging statements. When I do,
> neither Sherlock nor similar scripting helpers will help much.
>

> Instead, a cff followed by a regex search/replace will work.

Wow. That was an understatement.  For mypy, the following regex
search/replace suffices:

regex:  (\bdef .*?-> T:\n)
 repl: \1    g.trace(self.__class__.__name__, visitor.__class__.__name__)
 ###\n

*Note*: The traces are different even though the g.trace statement itself
is the same everywhere.

An even simpler search/replace will suffice to remove (or comment out) the
newly-inserted traces.

The only complication is adding the following statement in the appropriate
places:

from leo.core import leoGlobals as g

I have just closed Leo issue #3562
<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/3562> and the related PR.