On Thursday, September 14, 2023 at 2:54:13 PM UTC-5 offray wrote:

Regarding the gap between static text and dynamic data, its explorers and
possible bridges, I think that the Smalltalk tradition makes a good case
for writing dynamic data instead of static text.

Even in Pharo there is a distinction between the existing (static!) program
and the dynamic data on which it acts.

[1] https://pharo.org/
[2] https://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/en.html
[3] https://gtoolkit.com/
[4] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ab3ArE8W3s

I'm unconvinced by these links.

The video "Stop writing dead programs" is condescending, even insulting.
Modern software includes the Mars lander and rover, avionics for commercial
airliners, large cad-based engineering systems, browsers and their graphics
engines, IDEs such as vs-code, and AI software, such as the software for
robots made by Boston Dynamics. The video (and others like it) implies that
hundreds of thousands of engineers and scientists don't know what they are
doing. Maybe some of these projects use lisp, etc., but the rationales for
doing so had nothing to do with cute demos.

Let's move on. Pharo is a clever system. The main idea seems to be that an
app and its development environment can be the same. Alas, there are many
negatives.

Python is my dream language. I'm only interested in improving it. Otoh,
it's good to consider how we can improve our programming practice. The
Pharo videos stimulated those ideas.

For example, I'd like to make it easier to create unit tests. I didn't
write such tests for recent spelling-related PRs. That seems like a
mistake. An hour noodling about how to make unit tests for gui code may
have had a big payoff. I'm going to take another look.

*Summary*

I'm not interested in Pharo, but nobody needs my permission to use a
platform they love.

Thinking about Pharo has encouraged me to think about making Leo's
development less cumbersome.