Edward,

I'm happy to see that you have move on, finding value in Pharo (an hopefully other links) despite of finding the "Stop writing dead programs" condescending and even insulting.

Of course, the fact that robust and modern systems have been massively constructed in a particular way, doesn't mean that is the only or best one. Every culture (i.e. developers) has its blind spots and usually people from other cultures (i.e. artist) can point them more easily (it could happen in the other way also). The tradition of live coding that is so... well alive in performative arts (like music or in Smalltalk) I think that have relevant blind spots to point.

In my case, as a non-professional programmer I have found several truisms in the developer community that are fiercely defended (use Git, start with the "Hello world" example, write static text to represent a dynamic system and so on). And I think that the acknowledge of not knowing what we are doing can be seen not as as condescending critique, but as an empowering practice/mindset (like the newbie mindset). I find that resonant with Bret Victor's Future of Programming talk [1] and the hypothesis of 70's innovation mostly driving by an exploring attitude distant from truisms.

[1] http://worrydream.com/#!/TheFutureOfProgramming

Anyway the focus on the inspector seems a good starting point. My main scripting language before was Python, and trying to find more interactivity I used Jupyter (since the times where it was only IPython notebook) and, in my case, being able to deepen into data/objects with the inspector created a more fluent writing/exploring experience to work with dynamic systems in Pharo/Lepiter than in Python/Jupyter. It could provide inspiration for what is available in Leo, as Leo for me has inspired what I would like to see of a outlining/writing experience in Pharo/Lepiter (what I tried to prototype with Grafoscopio). And there are places where Leo is still second to none (like in reading/deconstructing complex code bases and/or documents).

Cheers,

Offray