This is a discussion that will end in no clear definitive way. As at the end of
the day, it's not just about runtime vs. runtime and there are many factors in
play. Ecosystem vs. Ecosystem, now that's an interesting debate :)

Few points:

-    Stats are always meet with skepticism. Adobe have expressed that if you
don't have 98% installation, then it's a hard road to follow. This is
incorrect, QuickTime, Firefox, Chrome etc have had success and it disproves
this theory. Furthermore, Adobe have outlined that 18million people per day
install Flash (80% of these come from their Installation page and NOT via their
updater). I'm no math genius, but 18million per day over a year overshoots
1.4billion. The 1.4billion is the total number of users online today, so
basically for a 98% statistics card, something's a little off here. How many
times have you installed Flash this year is the question? Think about it..

-    Plugin Fatigue is a myth. Word on the street is that people are afraid to
install plugins, so less friction is best. I'll inform the 18million people
whom just installed Flash today that they are the rare brave ones. Point is,
Adobe have proven that despite the popularity with Flash, people are constantly
installing plug-ins. It's almost a pre-existing tax that we seem to pay in
order to see beyond the page gate of experience. The NBC Olympics here in the
US proved this point, people were given an option to install Silverlight and
watch High Quality footage of the Olympics or go see the YouTube version. They
instead hit the install button and then remarked about how great the quality
was. Most folks stayed 20mins+ watching the Olympics, Adobe's best day had
3mins+ because the technology under the hood just couldn't cope with the
demand. Point is, when we make bets, we do so with eyes wide open in a
proactive fashion, not reactive.

-    Silverlight has outpaced the Adobe Flex Developers, as if you look at
public examples, FlexCoders mailing list (which arguably is the main hub for
Flex crowd) rally in at around 10k in total (give or take). Silverlight.NET
brings in around 30k+, we expect to see that number swarm even more so that
Silverlight 2 is officially out.

-    Flash is still Flash. Arguments / Stats aside, at the end of the day, .NET
crowd didn't swarm to Adobe Flex before Silverlight and its clear they aren't
about to. ActionScript is not an attractive language and it doesn't have the
tools to back its play that the .NET crowd are accustomed to. I myself, before
joining Microsoft was happy in my Flex Builder existence and it wasn't until I
actually sat down and used Visual Studio 2005 that I fully appreciated the
power of a good tool. The point is, to use Flex etc you have to essentially
abandon this tool and start over. When you have deadlines or shipping schedules
to meet, the learning curve just got steeper. That and C# is a widely trusted
used language - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

-    This all means null. You are all extremely smart individuals, you've
managed to overcome the mathematical hurdles put before you, you've achieved
success in a variety of ways. You the developer know what you like and don't
like, at the end of the day this is about what you feel the most comfortable
doing. If Silverlight or Flex appeals to you than that's what you should do, as
I'd rather anyone on this list adopts Silverlight because they WANT to not
because they are FORCED/ TRICKED into (buyer's remorse is the worst thing to
overcome for any business).

The world is going through a massive upgrade wave, getting reactive and playing
games to stomp out Silverlight is not smart, it's childish and it's a game we
won't be playing (we have our vision, they have theirs, difference is we aren't
looking over their shoulders). Maturity is something Microsoft has a history
of, and we're extremely keen to work with both developer and designer folks to
help them create beyond what's expected of them. That's our goal, it's not to
squash Adobe or "kill" them as the press outlines, we are more interested in
ensuring Microsoft based developers can create compelling & powerful
experiences, that's it.

The markets are hurting worldwide, Microsoft is able to continue to invest even
in these troubled times, so we're still moving our engines full steam ahead and
today, one day after the Silverlight release I'm already in discussions with
what's left to do in the next release. We're not easing off the pedal, the team
are still pumped and excited about this next wave of features.

Stick to what you know, and beat us up if we've overlooked anything, as you'd
be surprised at how much impact the community at large world-wide has on the
product planning decisions. I've seen policies change overnight due to the
vocal minority bringing about change.

HTH.

--
Scott Barnes