>> Not necessarily. Mediterranean basin had its own lutes >very early, way
>> before there was any contact with the Far East.
>> RT
> I think we have to rethink this whole concept of one particular time and
> place where East meets West. For instance. We are taught to believe that
> during Christ's lifetime all these cultures had not mingled.
Lutes appear in the eastern Mediterranean long before Christ, probably
during the Hittite invasion.

> There where
> well establish trade routes from India to the middle east.  There is some
> pretty convincing evidence that Christ traveled to India at that time, and
That "Gospel Vindaloo theory" doesn't hold lassi, I'm afraid.....

> brought back with him the Buddhist traditions of a monastatic order and
> compassion, which took hold centuries later in Christendom.
I do not recall the Redeemer advocating monasticism, but Mathias will surely
clarify the issue.

> I challenge
> anyone to find a monastatic order, anywhere in the world other than in
> Buddhist India 500 year before the appearance of Christ.
Some argue that Essenes were kind of monastic....

> The west has taken
> this for granted and not traced this tradition back any further than
> Constantine. Sorry to go off here, but it is just another example of
> suppression of any other foreign influence on Religion, music, and the arts,
> to the point where we all believe like Baron that the lute came from the
> Greeks.
The point is that it probably was in Europe even before them Greeks.....
Egypt and Asia Minor are have culturally more to do with Europe than India
and beyond.
RT