"Roman Turovsky" <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
>> brought back with him the Buddhist traditions of a monastatic order
and compassion, which took hold centuries later in Christendom.

> I do not recall the Redeemer advocating monasticism, but Mathias will surely
> clarify the issue.

not exactly lute-related, isn't it. Buddhist monks and nuns are
generally supposed to live in celibacy and stay away from drinking
alcohol and from eating meat, to name the most obvious rules. None of
these traits  belongs to Jewish life. So, it doesn't come as a surprise
that according to the witness of the Gospels Jesus of Nazareth, as a
Jew, neither lived as a monk nor demanded that his disciples live as
monks or nuns.

>> I challenge anyone to find a monastatic order, anywhere in the world
other than in
>> Buddhist India 500 year before the appearance of Christ.

> Some argue that Essenes were kind of monastic....

according to their scriptures, the people of Qumran (and Damascus, where
their headquarter was) lived in an order. But they did certainly not
live as monks, in the sense of Buddhist monks, since they were Jewish.
Most of them were married, every Shabbat there is a cup of wine to be
drunken after service (Kiddush) and for Purim adults are even commanded
to get drunk until they cannot tell a certain blessing from another, and
at least once a year there is meat of sheep on the table, i. e. for
Pessach (Easter).

Best,

Mathias