On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Dekel Tsur wrote:

> The following patch add basic Hebrew support for LyX:
> When changing the document language to Hebrew (in Document Layout popup),
> the text will be rendered from right-to-left
> (except when entering TeX-mode)

Cool!  At last someone has done this!
I've only read through the patch I haven't tried it however that's not
going to stop me...

> The patch is against the cvs source (Dec 11).
> I should note that this patch is very incomplete (but still usable).
> Furthermore, there may be better ways to add right-to-left support
> for LyX (e.g., in the patch the text rendering is still done from left
> to right. It may be better to do the rendering from right to left).

The rendering method isn't a problem that could be altered later.  It's
the restriction on document language (ie. all or nothing) that is a
problem IMO. What we really need is an inset or text mode that allows
Hebrew or other RTL languages to be included in a LTR document and
vice-versa.  Actually,  we need to be able to define the language of
individual characters (or a phrase) and that should be a property of a
text chunk.

This idea is an extension of some of the generalised text insets that were
done in the old development branch -- IIRC they were eventually renamed
Elements.

Anyway, don't let this put you off.  We've needed someone to step forward
and do this for ages now.  Most of what you've done should be able to be
reused/adopted I think.  Maybe we could incorporate it and then modify the
insets/Elements to work better with it although I'd be inclined to do the
reverse and reintroduce the text elements and then adapt your work.

> If the LyX developers choose to use this patch, then I would like to
> become a developer to make additional changes.

You are certainly most welcome.

Allan. (ARRae)