On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 01:19:23PM +0100, Asger K. Alstrup Nielsen wrote:

> Yes, this patch is very cool.  Hebrew support can be considered a FURF,
> and it's great to see somebody do something about it.

Yay!

Dekel, how is this patch related to TeX--XeT? I seem to remember you needed
more than just a Hebrew font to write hebrew in LaTeX.

> After all, how common is it to write a mixed document?

Actually, I suspect it's not uncommon. First, in the scientific world (a
popular LyX niche) I think there's stuff you have to write in English, even
if you want to write most of a document in hebrew. ALternatively, a
lot of science in Israel is done in English, but folks might want to put
some hebrew stuff in. But of course, limited support for hebrew is better
than none.

In addition, most of the Jews in the world don't live in Israel. But very
often when Jews are discussing religious stuff they want to use Hebrew
(getting hebrew on web pages is a popular FAQ), in combination with a mainly
English (Spanish, French...) document. Heck, with multi-column (or something
like it) you could even write a bible translation! LyX would be really great
for this.

btw, do we get arabic for free with this? Arabic is an URF, if not a FURF.

> Furthermore, this is our only change to get Hebrew support:  None of the
> existing developers have any expertise in Hebrew,

I'm offended!.... Oh, you mean expertise in coding a Hebrew document
processor. OK. (Well, OK, I'm not really an active developer these days, but
don't tell anyone.)

-Amir