> > The following patch add basic Hebrew support for LyX:
> > When changing the document language to Hebrew (in Document Layout popup),
> > the text will be rendered from right-to-left
> > (except when entering TeX-mode)
>
> Cool!  At last someone has done this!

Yes, this patch is very cool.  Hebrew support can be considered a FURF,
and it's great to see somebody do something about it.

> > The patch is against the cvs source (Dec 11).
> > I should note that this patch is very incomplete (but still usable).
> > Furthermore, there may be better ways to add right-to-left support
> > for LyX (e.g., in the patch the text rendering is still done from left
> > to right. It may be better to do the rendering from right to left).
>
> The rendering method isn't a problem that could be altered later.  It's
> the restriction on document language (ie. all or nothing) that is a
> problem IMO.

This is not a problem IMO.  Yes, in the ideal world, we would like an
inset that handles this, but we don't live in an ideal world.  The ideal
world will come with the new kernel some day, but until then, this is
not an issue.  After all, how common is it to write a mixed document?

Furthermore, this is our only change to get Hebrew support:  None of the
existing developers have any expertise in Hebrew, so we should not waste
this unique chance to get a high quality patch, and a high quality
developer.

I think the patch should go in as it is.  Also, I think we should give
cvs access to the author, because this is good work.

Greets,

Asger