Dekel Tsur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The following patch add basic Hebrew support for LyX:
> When changing the document language to Hebrew (in Document Layout popup),
> the text will be rendered from right-to-left
> (except when entering TeX-mode)

IMHO RTL is a paragraph property rather than a buffer property.  And
there might be a need for a short RTL pharase embedded in a line in
LTR paragraph and vice versa.

> The patch is against the cvs source (Dec 11).
> I should note that this patch is very incomplete (but still usable).
> Furthermore, there may be better ways to add right-to-left support
> for LyX (e.g., in the patch the text rendering is still done from left
> to right. It may be better to do the rendering from right to left).

AFAIK the only way for X to render string from right to left is to
use a font with negative width characters.  Is there any other way?
This approach is "easier" in a way that you don't have to rearrange
strings just as you did.  On the other hand, all Arabic/Hebrew fonts
I checked have only characters of positive widths, so that we will
have to prepare special fonts if this approach is taken.  Besides
LyXText::GetColumnNearX() may be more heavily patched.  Probably
your approach to rearrange a string constituting each row would be
better.
Now it strikes me that you are talking something completely different.
Are you refering to the fact that the end-of-paragraph lines which
do not span the full width of the screen are left aligned?

> If the LyX developers choose to use this patch, then I would like to
> become a developer to make additional changes.

You can ask Lars to set up a new branch.  I think every developer
welcomes you.

Regards,
        SMiyata