Dear MORPHMET community,

I am still struggling to process this tragic news. Dennis was on my
master’s thesis committee at Florida State University in 2010–2012. He was
truly a great mentor who introduced me to the theory and practice of
geometric morphometrics, which has shaped my research career in tremendous
ways. Beyond his remarkable academic accomplishments, he was a warm,
thoughtful, and brilliant person who always had his office door open for
deep conversations about shape theory. I learned so much from him and
deeply saddened by the fact that I am no longer able to discuss shape with
him.

Couple things I’d like to share. When asked about what he studies, Dennis
proudly said that he works on triangles, the most basic shape that can be
described mathematically. He showed the beauty, elegance, and seemingly
endless possibilities that the study of triangles can offer in his
geometric morphometric course at FSU. As a student who had absolutely no
background in programming, he also encouraged me to learn Python and R. One
of my favorite quotes by him is: “If you need to do something more than
twice, you should program it.” I tell this to many students who are
beginning to learn coding.

Dennis’ passing will leave a giant hole in my heart as well as the
morphometrics community. I feel enormously honored to have known him. For
those who have not had the privilege of meeting Dennis, you can get a taste
of his character watching his Rohlf Medal presentation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqxFfXDyFC4

Sincerely,

Aki