Hello Everyone,

Since Friday afternoon, I have struggled to put into words the kind of
adviser Dennis Slice was to his students to supplement the elegant
testimonies to his abilities as a researcher, but words fail me. I do not
know how I can properly portray the care and compassion that he afforded
us. Despite his many accomplishments, he remained humble and never spoke
down to us. He listened to our concerns with compassion and our ideas with
an open mind. He treated us like family, and I know that I am not alone in
saying that we felt the same way about him. Our weekly lab meetings and
monthly lab dinners form some of my happiest memories of graduate school
because he infused humor into our every interaction. He taught me so many
things, both professionally (like people are more likely to read emails
that are broken into smaller blocks) and personally (like a gentleman
should always carry a handkerchief in case a lady cries). I can only hope
that I as a professor will be able to foster curiosity and confidence in my
students half as well as Dennis did in me.

I deeply miss Dennis, and I suspect I always will.

Thank you for your time,

James Soda