I need some help finding which city ordinances cover broken glass on
boulevards, front lawns and public spaces.

For some reason, tossing bottles is the "in" party trick this last 9-10
months.  I thought it was my evil-neighborhood-witch imagination, but the
facilities people at Tuttle School echoed my observation.  They came back
to work in September and had never had so much glass to pick up either.
Now that the snow has melted, lots of glass is appearing, tossed over the
winter.

In addition, anyone's front yard is a target, apparently.  If your car gets
dinged in the process, tough.

To state what worries me, in the boulevards broken glass is a hazard to my
feet in sandals and to my dog's footpads, and ditto for passers-by.    In
the front lawn and boulevards, we have a potentially lethal missle if glass
 isn't picked up before the lawn mower spews it out (at how many MPH?),
plus I like to go barefoot and so does the dog.  On the playground, it WILL
be found--hopefully not in some kid's chin, hand or knee, but that's where
I expect it to end up.

My NRP office (SECIA) will do the publicity work but I'd like ideas on what
to do in which order, and which city ordinances cover your suggestions.

What IS the ordinance number of the litter laws in public places?
What is the ordinance number of litter or hazardous conditions on home
boulevards and front lawns?
How can we cite, fine or otherwise get homeowner and tenant and landlords
to pick this stuff up?

So far I have found the following but want more:

225.590. Storing of solid waste. No person shall throw, place or deposit
solid waste in any street, alley or other public place or on any public or
private property, except in containers as described in this article and in
accordance with the requirements of section 244.700 of this Code.
Containers shall be placed on the property served in the location
prescribed by the rules and regulations of the city engineer, except that
grass and leaves may be placed in plastic bags or other suitable containers.

I don't see anything like a fine or whatever attached to that.  If someone
gets hurt, as by lawn mower thrown flying glass, I expect the civil court
would or could impose damages, but I'd like to have a tool to get people to
pick up before anyone needs that to happen.

I really don't have any hope that the 3 AM bottle tossers are going to get
tagged for littering.  I suppose that ordinance would be nice to know about
though.

Emilie Quast
SE Como