Michael Hohmann wrote:

Tossing bottles, cans, wrappings and other trash on the street and sidewalk
is, I believe, a sign of poor upbringing and poor education.  It's a
reflection on parents, teachers and society-- where 'being a slob' is too
readily tolerated.  It's the 'me' generation, with their 'get outta my face'
attitude making a statement.  By their actions, they are disrespecting
themselves and the public environment.  What their actions are really saying
is, 'look at me, I'm a fool and I don't care.'  Well, they got that one
right!

WM: I think you've misinterpreted the whole phenomenon. For the very poor, totally dissed population, refusing to comply is their only power--the power to say no to social constraints. It's not poor upbringing so much as bitterness, bone deep fatigue, and an exercise of the only power available to them.

WizardMarks, Central

1. Think a member has violated the rules? Email the list manager at [EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list. 2. Don't feed the troll! Ignore obvious flame-bait.