I live on busy Johnson Street in Northeast. There is a constant flow of litter that collects in my yard. I pick it up when I see it which is all I can really do. Every spring and fall we have the Weed It and Reap which is a neighborhood clean-up that encourages everyone to do some tidying. iT is effective for those two dates but in between things can get sketchy.

Since Holy Land's big remodel on Central Avenue I have seen a lot more trash in the gutters, I mean a lot. It is staring to look like Cedar Avenue which seems to have some of the worst summer trash problems around. Same goes for Broadway in North Minneapolis.

Perhaps the most thoughtless trend I have seen lately is dumping entire bags of fast-food and wrappers right in the street. This is occurs all the time, especially in the Holland and Logan neighborhoods. You'll see a murder of crows feeding on french fries and stale cheese in the gutters on weekend mornings after the feeding frenzy of friday night (the day it seems to most occur). I am actually considering making a big plywood sign to put in the yard-

--------------------------
l  DON'T LITTER,  l
l                         l
l THIS   IS   OUR  l
l     STREET!        l
l______________l
    l            l
    l            l

Feel free to copy my sign, I worked hard on the concept ;).

Sean Ryan
Audubon

PS story I
--I was once standing on Central waiting for a bus when the guy next to me threw a half full soda can on the sidewalk. A cop who had been waiting at the light immediately sped up and gave the man a shouting; apparently the cop was pretty frustrated because he used some words that shouldn't be yelled from a cruiser window. The litterer sure learned his lesson and promptly pciked it up and placesd it in the receptacle 18 inches away.

PS story II
--While stuck in gridlock on 35w South (near diamond lake) one afternoon I glanced out the window at the large storm drain. It was cigarette butts 3 inches deep 4 feet across. It so disturbed me that I have since encouraged everyone to use their ashtrays, not only for saftey but for the dear old Mississippi. Cigarette butts are usually fiberglass and are filled with toxins not good for the water.

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfeeŽ Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

REMINDERS:
1. Think a member has violated the rules? Email the list manager at [EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list. 2. Don't feed the troll! Ignore obvious flame-bait.