Jeff Rosenberg writes:

The big question to me is, how do we make people proud of our city? I'm
proud to live here, and I want to do everything I can to make it better.
...What would make these people care for their environment.

An example:

Some time ago, way back when the buses were running, I was sitting outside
Rainbow Foods waiting for a bus. So were a few students who had just come
from Target. One of them had a CD, which she unwrapped, throwing the wrapper
on the ground in front of her. I might add that there was a garbage can on
THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BUS SHELTER! I told her that she should throw it out.
She responded: 'Yeah, probably. But I'm too lazy.' I can't understand where
this complete lack of repect comes from. Even if she is just a temporary
resident of the city, I can't see it.

BF:
I think there are more of us who care about the city and are proud of it
than those who mess it up.  I've asked people to pick up litter before, and
the response has been shock.  Probably just shock that I'm even talking to
them, let alone asking them to do something that they knew they ought to do
anyway.

I think more of us who care ought to be willing to experience that shock and
just go ahead and ask people to clean up, be respectful of others, etc.  We
don't have to be the effect of every old litterbug around.

Litter is sort of a small issue compared to acts of violence, theft,
property damage etc.  But it is a good start.  Tackling that is probably
good practice for taking on the larger issues and really cleaning up our
town.

Brian Fesler
Keewaydin