Mr. Searles says, in part...
> Teachers? You're blaming teachers for kids being slobs?

Mr. Searles, I'm in Mpls., you're in Waconia.  Your chivalry on behalf of
teachers is noted, but please consider that I'm speaking of situations where
generation after generation of kids have kids; they drop out of school, they
have no job skills and they remain unemployed or are stuck with low-paying
jobs for life.  They don't teach their children well.  The cycle just seems
to continue unrelenting.

Too often, too many parents don't serve as good role models for their kids,
and in many cases they serve as outright bad role models.  Granted, 'poor
upbringing' tends to perpetuate the cycle, but the educational establishment
should not be held harmless for their role, or lack thereof, in nurturing
child development as part of the educational process.  And believe me,
life's circumstances are very different neighborhood to neighborhood, city
to city, urban to rural.

Too often, teachers bear the brunt of criticism for results they don't fully
influence nor control-- agreed.  However, that should not absolve the
educational system -and teachers- of all responsibility for improving the
lives of kids in the system.  Schools share a responsibility with parents to
impart positive, motivated and respectful attitudes in students.  Just
because some parents are falling short doesn't absolve the educational
system of their ongoing responsibility.  Yes, it's easier to blame the
educational system than teachers -it dissipates the accountability- but
where does responsibility lie for this portion of the equation-- for the six
hours a day, five days a week for eight months a year, that the kids are in
school?

That's why I stated, in part, that...
> It's a reflection on parents, teachers and society-- where 'being a
> slob' is too readily tolerated.

Poor upbringing by parents, overly complacent teachers AND an overly
complacent educational system, along with a society that expects too little
from it's members, tends to perpetuate this disrespectful slob mentality.

Mr. Searles states,
> Put the responsibility where it belongs and you might be able to solve
some
> problems.

That's just what I tried to do, Mr. Searles.  I'd say we're all responsible
to varying degree, however I too place most responsibility on individual
parents and their out-of-control, slob kids!  And society is too complacent
to speak up about it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And Wizard Marks adds,
> I think you've misinterpreted the whole phenomenon. For the very
> poor, totally dissed population, refusing to comply is their only
> power--the power to say no to social constraints. It's not poor
> upbringing so much as bitterness, bone deep fatigue, and an exercise of
> the only power available to them.

[MH] What can I say?  There's no excuse, they're slobs!  Without an altered
attitude they are doomed.

Michael Hohmann
Linden Hills