The big question to me is, how do we make people proud of our city? I'm
proud to live here, and I want to do everything I can to make it better.
There are those, however, who simply do not (I must add here that, although
I hate to say it, the problem to me seems to mostly be students. Being a
student myself, I don't like to make such a broad condemnation, but I'm
afraid it's true). What would make these people care for their environment.

An example:

Some time ago, way back when the buses were running, I was sitting outside
Rainbow Foods waiting for a bus. So were a few students who had just come
from Target. One of them had a CD, which she unwrapped, throwing the wrapper
on the ground in front of her. I might add that there was a garbage can on
THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BUS SHELTER! I told her that she should throw it out.
She responded: 'Yeah, probably. But I'm too lazy.' I can't understand where
this complete lack of repect comes from. Even if she is just a temporary
resident of the city, I can't see it.

--Jeff Rosenberg
Cedar/Riverside
Who gets his exercise walking all the way to the garbage can.