We do quite a bit of iOS OSG (and osgEarth) development too, shout if you
have problems.

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 3:52 AM, Sebastian Messerschmidt <
sebastian.messerschm...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Stephan,
>
> Thank you for you insights.
> If you don't mind I would message you if I have further questions. Simply
> tell me when I start to annoy you.
>
> Cheers
> Sebastian
>
>  Hi Sebastian,
>>
>> Am 05.03.2014 um 08:42 schrieb Sebastian Messerschmidt <
>> sebastian.messerschm...@gmx.de>:
>>
>>  I've been requested to explore the options of OpenSceneGraph development
>>> under iOS.
>>> There are some starter tutorials, but I still have some questions
>>> (without having touched the toolchain right now)
>>>
>>> 1. Depending on the device I guess I'm bound to OpenGL ES 1 and 2?
>>>
>> You are bound to ES1 OR ES2. It depends on the context you create. And
>> you'll have to setup cmake accordingly.
>>
>>  2. What about external dependencies, are there all available resource to
>>> get my favourites like curl, tif, freetype going?
>>>
>> It's hard to find the dependencies, I have some precompiled libs for curl
>> and freetype. The hard part is to compile them for both the devices and the
>> simulator.
>>
>>  3. How are plugins handled? Is there some delay load mechanism, or do
>>> they have to be compiled statically into the application?
>>>
>> iOS require static linking.
>>
>>  4. Last of all: How well does it work? Is the setup/building/deploy
>>> working smoothly?
>>>
>> If you master the hurdle of setup and compilation of osg and its
>> dependencies its working w/o problems. The linking times are relatively
>> high because of the static linking requirements.
>>
>> One major annoyance is cmake's inability to compile socalled universal
>> libs. These libs contain code for the simulator and the devices (arm6,
>> arm7, arm64). I can open source my build-scripts which creates 2
>> cmake-projects in different folders, compile osg and afterwards create
>> universal libs. If there's any interest I can setup a git repository.
>>
>> Here's an example of a working ios-app, which may guide as a blueprint:
>>
>> https://github.com/Present3D/present3d-control (it contains also
>> freetype + curl 3rdparty-libs)
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Stephan

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. xe...@alphapixel.com
http://www.alphapixel.com/
Training * Consulting * Contracting
3D * Scene Graphs (Open Scene Graph/OSG) * OpenGL 2 * OpenGL 3 * OpenGL 4 *
GLSL * OpenGL ES 1 * OpenGL ES 2 * OpenCL
Digital Imaging * GIS * GPS * osgEarth * Terrain * Telemetry * Cryptography
* Digital Audio * LIDAR * Kinect * Embedded * Mobile * iPhone/iPad/iOS *
Android
@alphapixel <https://twitter.com/alphapixel> facebook.com/alphapixel (775)
623-PIXL [7495]