I almost never use the camera on my cell phone, granted it's about 3
years old.

I find the mindset of those who use their cell phone as their only or
predominant camera hard to fathom. I guess it's more about sharing the
image immediately than it is about the image itself.

Must be getting old.

I generally agree with your thoughts. Especially that the value is in
the lens, in that they are less transitory than the DSLR bodies.  In
the short time that DSLR's have been around I find that I upgrade my
camera body every 1.5 cycles... Pentax has released 4 flagships... not
counting the *ist D (the first), 3 upgrades were made available as the
top of the line.  I smartly skipped the K10D, foolishly purchased a
K20D, and then got the K-7.

I'd likely be the same with any other mfr.

I believe that I could get the same or possibly better image quality
with film and a good scanner. Though the price of film and developing
would likely begin to encroach on the price of new gear, offset again
somewhat by the need for more storage with digital, offset by the time
required to scan the shots worthy of scanning...

Tom C.