> On 31 May 2016 at 22:51 John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 12:52:18PM -0400, Igor PDML-StR wrote (of CVTs):
> >
> > Despite being in existence (in non-luxury models) for over 10 years, . . .
>
> That's a bit of an understatement.
>
> We have one in our (2003) MINI (which has been replaced once under the
> extended warranty I purchased). But I drove a DAF around 1970 with one.

DAF first fitted Variomatic transmission in the late 1950, IIRC.  I remember a
wonderful weekend in about 1975, changing the belt and then searching for, and
sealing, the subsequent vacuum leak.  Most modern motor scooters use it, too.
The modern version uses metal belts that are, apparently, pushed by the pulleys
instead of being pulled.  Plus electronic control.