John,

Yes, it looks like the first car with CVT was made in 1896 by Milton Reeves. I am not sure if it would be considered a "luxury" one or not.

What I meant is a really mass-production of many different models across different brands. And I meant the modern, computer-controlled designs (ECVT). I may have underestimated that period, but it was not the main focus of my response.

A more detailed history of CVTs and their design can be found e.g. here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

Paul and Mark: some information about Subaru CVT ("Lineartronic"):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_transmissions#Subaru_Lineartronic_CVT

Cheers,

Igor

 mike wilson Tue, 31 May 2016 23:03:59 -0700 wrote:

On 31 May 2016 at 22:51 John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:

On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 12:52:18PM -0400, Igor PDML-StR wrote (of CVTs):

> Despite being in existence (in non-luxury models) for over 10 years, . . .

That's a bit of an understatement.

We have one in our (2003) MINI (which has been replaced once under the
extended warranty I purchased). But I drove a DAF around 1970 with one.

DAF first fitted Variomatic transmission in the late 1950, IIRC. I remember a wonderful weekend in about 1975, changing the belt and then searching for, and sealing, the subsequent vacuum leak. Most modern motor scooters use it, too. The modern version uses metal belts that are, apparently, pushed by the pulleys instead of being pulled. Plus electronic control.