Based on what Igor said below, I would do some web research and find out who
makes Subaru's CVT. It's not likely Subaru. Two or three companies make most of
the world's transmissions, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nissan and
Subaru use the same trans. If so, you can point to Nissan's extended warranty.
Check NHTSA for owner complaints as well. I think you can make Subaru see the
light. I'll ask around and see if there's any talk about this among the tech
aware journalists.

Paul via phone