Good summary... I don't see pursuing litigation. The car is out of warranty and I had ample opportunities to buy an extended warranty (they kind of pester you to do that). I made the decision not to get the extended warranty and in this case it was a bad call. I've made worse decisions. My first contact with Subaru was positive and I generally have a high regard for the company and have good experiences with the dealership, so I'm hopeful that we can work out some relief. But if not, that's the breaks.

My main concern was whether the reman transmission was worth the extra cost vs a used unit. I'm coming down on the side of a reman. A used unit would be pulled out of a wreck so who knows what it might have been exposed to. I could have someone check it over but ultimately, I think of a reman as a used unit that has been thoroughly scrubbed and (probably) has the best warranty.

I'm wondering though how I'll feel about the car when it gets back. If I'm not comfortable jumping in and taking a long trip then I will likely sell it off. I'll see how I feel after I have the car back and have driven it a few months.

Mark