Mark, you have provoked a most interesting thread. A minefield of opinions! In the end it comes down to two things: (a) getting the car on the road again ASAP & (b) economics. The litigation route could take months. If you are to keep the car, an exchange unit (recon) with guarantee seems the best option. It is equivalent to having the existing gearbox repaired. To me a new box is just not on. If you are going to get rid of the car, find a S/H box, hopefully from a reliable scrapyard.

Best

Alan C