Hi Igor -

I'm certainly happy with Subaru's decision to extend the warranty on their CVT's and to provide retroactive compensation. I don't expect to be using the money for a new lens. I'm pretty happy with the lenses I have - turns out that hanging onto good full frame glass was not a mistake The only lens that I am tempted to replace is the FA 20-35 f4, but I can't get a good handle on its performance on the K1. Sometimes it shines, sometimes it's a dud. It's clearly better (marginally) on film than on the K1 in terms of edge and corner sharpness. It also seems to be better at the long end than at 20mm. I recently fine-tuned the AF - and it needed about 5 steps of correction IIRC - so I'm hoping that helps. But I seldom shoot wider than 28mm so I don't feel too motivated to upgrade to the DFA 15-30.

I suspect that the reimbursement from Subaru will go into the VW repair fund. My wife's 2009 Tiguan seems to develop a $500 - $1000 problem every 10K or so. In the past year and a half we've replaced the timing chain, PCV system, rear main seal (blew out when the PCV system failed) and water pump. Last Thursday the dealership told me that both rear springs are broken - I need to get that checked out by an independent mechanic. Seems odd that both springs would break at the same time and that the car would still ride just fine.

Good luck with your car search. CVT's are a fact o life these days but they seem to be prone to funky and fatal errors. I would do serious research on any CVT vehicle.

Mark

Igor PDML-StR wrote:

Hi Mark,

I was just thinking about you and your Subaru CVT a few time in the past week. (We are looking for a car right now.)

I am glad to hear that good news. I'd say that's probably an indicator of Subaru being one of the better manufacturers (behavior-wise). (Even though they should've admitted their problems much earlier.) And your local dealership is also among the better once since they've covered 50% even before this event.

Nissan gave us all sort of problems with our CVT (on Rogue) over the past 9 year, starting from the 1st year. And both, our dealership and the corporate office were very bad to address these problems. They were refusing to admit the problems despite the symptoms, until the transmission failed completely. And for the 2nd time, they were delaying admitting the problem it until the mileage was beyond the limit.

After almost 20 years of owning Nissans (not exclusively), I am too afraid to buy any Nissan at this point: all models I would be potentially interested in have CVTs, and Nissan CVTs are plagued with problems, and Nissan is bad addressing them.

Speaking of "impressive" warranties (mentioned by Alan), - I've just learned that the "best industry warranty" advertised by Hyundai is to a large extent a gimmick: Only the 1st owner is eligible for the 10 yrs/100k miles (powertrain) warranty, for the subsequent owners it is 5yrs/60K. (Additionally, there is practically no "bumper-to-bumper", large portion of the coverage of the "limited" warranty ends within the 1st year.)
Kia's "industry-best" warranty is a similar gimmick.

Anyway, - I am glad Mark for you. Despite the headache, at least you didn't suffer as much of the financial hit...

And the most intriguing question (for this list):
Are you going to buy some new lens with the unexpected ~$4K?
;-)

Igor