Mike,

My reply was not in response to your packet loss, I was trying to
describe other effects that had been brought up in the discussion by
Paul.  I'm not saying your provider isn't tampering with packets or IP's
destine for competitors VoIP servers.  What I am saying is depending on
the path, things can work differently.

Packet filtering, blocking, and delaying can be a huge overhead.  Most
companies simply don't do anything because it's too much hassle, and too
much overhead on core or edge routers.

Web surfing and other data transfers don't have the adverse effects of
packet loss like what shows up on streaming voice and video.  They can
be re-sent, prompted by the error correction, and the only thing you see
(feel) is the delay in the page loading or the time of a download.  I'd
say there is something wrong somewhere and the VoIP is just showing how
bad the problem really is.

Go to a command prompt and type      ping 4.2.2.1 -t       This will
institute a constant ping to a legacy GTE DNS server in Colorado.  See
what the results are...   If your provider is having big trouble, after
about 50 or 100 pings, you'll see the loss in a percentage.  If they are
having only a little trouble, you might see some lost after a few
hundred.  If you have basic packet loss, the provider need to be
notified and given the opportunity to resolve.  If they fail to resolve,
you have a choice.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Kevin Custer
List Owner