You also have to be careful when generalizing - "Comcast" here locally is
actually the old AT&T Broadband network, upgraded many times by Comcast
after they purchased it.

But the base technologies installed in each "Comcast" service area are NOT
the same.

(I can tell for sure that Comcast here locally is using Cisco gear - you can
watch the speed throttling behavior and it matches every Cisco QoS box I've
ever used. overshoots at first, and then falls back.  Comcast around here
recently started offering "SpeedBoost" where they're allowing a higher burst
of speed for a set period of time PER CONNECTION (TCP, UDP, whatever you are
using) and then that connection - just that one - gets throttled.  I've
tested this on my Comcast line pretty heavily just to know the "expected
behavior".  I also avoid the public "speed test" sites and use a private
server I KNOW is on more than a DS-3 worth of bandwidth for testing
purposes.)

So. when I see "Comcast is great" or "Comcast sucks" on different online
message boards, I always take that with a grain of salt.  It's just not the
same gear everywhere.

Nate WY0X