Not sure how others deal with it but when having character that will have
cltoth weighted and simulated I like to have an mesh with full body, and
then 2nd mesh with only visible parts, hands, neck, head etc...
Then painting weights on full body  mesh only, GATOR-ing everything else
and then for animationa nd everything els using only cloth and partialy
bodu mesh, and full body mesh is left out of model not used for anything
esle but for painting and GATOR-ing weights to all other meshes on
characters.