You dont even have to merge them, gator will manage just fine for example:

paint weigh on full body mesh

duplicate body mesh and delete all non seen polys, you dont need them, but
you can jstu skip this and just keep full body mesh if you dont mind having
not seen polygons, maybe even better if cloth materials have
sometranslucency

then GATOR shirt, pants.. any other cloth or prop object.
It iwill follow full body mehsh just fine
Tweak here or there if needed but in mosta case it works pretty fine