OHHH. So just duplicate my mesh objects, merge them all together, use that to paint weights, and then GATOR over to individual pieces is what you're saying? Going to try that now! Hopefully I can workaround the symmetry problem that way as well...

(Speaking of which, does XSI have a way to prune deformers whose weight influence on the mesh is zero?)

Yours sincerely,
Siew Yi Liang