On Mon 2023-10-16 15:35:13 +1100, Andrew Harvey wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 at 15:16, Yuchen Pei <y...@gnu.org> wrote:

>> On Mon 2023-10-16 14:51:00 +1100, Andrew Harvey wrote:

>> > On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 at 20:40, Yuchen Pei <i...@ypei.org> wrote:

>> > [... 38 lines elided]

>> >     mr2osc.mjs is used in Stage 2 (replacing street_number=x/y with
>> >     unit_number=x && street_number=y). For example, the Makefile rule
>> >     dist/unitFromNumber.osc is generated using this script. I have
>> >     generated
>> >     the osc file[1]. However, this file contains 38k nodes, whereas
>> >     the
>> >     input MR file[2] only has 12k features. So my question is - does
>> >     anyonw
>> >     know what is the easiest way to see all the changes in this file
>> >     staged
>> >     on a map, as a sanity check? OTOH I'd assume the file format is
>> >     some
>> >     standard osm change format.

>> > Yes, this is mentioned in the README

>> > www/mrPreview.html at URL

>> What is URL?

> Ah yeah I put URL as a placeholder I was going to replace. At the moment
> you can only view that locally within the repository as I haven't hosted
> it.

Got it, thanks. Somehow when I open www/mrPreview.html I only see a map,
but not the addresses in the changes in Stage 2. I took a look at the
content of the www/mrPreview.html, and I don't see references to any of
the geojson or osc files.

> [... 8 lines elided]

>> >     I can do the test upload of a small area (say ~100 addresses) and
>> >     report
>> >     back.

>> > Please if you insist, can you just do < 10, no need to do 100.

>> Why?

> For testing, I feel it should be a number that we can manually work with.
> After your testing either we need to then wait for the planet export to
> catch up with your changes, or potentially have a conflict to deal with in
> JOSM (or maybe JOSM would handle it, I'm not sure).

OK.

>> > Once I've reviewed the above and am happy with it I'll do the upload
>> > with the import account as planned.

>> Even though you asked whether I would like to help and I said yes, the
>> communications so far have give me the impression that you want to work
>> on it solo

> Not the case, I think it's great that you've taken interest in the import,
> if we can work together to get it done that would be ideal.

Cool thanks. What do you think people can do to help speed up the
project? It is still not clear to me.

>> which is less of a problem if there's a clear timeframe to
>> complete it. After all it was started in 2021 and stalled, and this is a
>> community project to improve the VIC address coverage for everyone. To
>> get it done I will continue working on it as I have been in the past few
>> weeks. If Stage 2 is done I will push for progress in Stage 3, and so
>> on.

> It's a balance, I don't want to hold things up, at the same time we don't
> want to mess up such a large import by rushing.

Understood - I agree that we gotta do it right.

> [... 2 lines elided]

Best,
Yuchen

--
Timezone: UTC+11
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0