Micha Ruh wrote:
> 2010/1/16 Jean-Marc Liotier <j...@liotier.org <mailto:j...@liotier.org>>
>
>     I tried to
>     replace "building=collapsed" with "earthquake:damage=collapsed_building"
>
> Please don't, it's useless, if not harmful.
>
> Why do you want to replace a simple, understandable, well established,
> broadly supported tag with something THAT complicated?
>
> It's ok, that another tag with the same meaning exists due to imports,
> but please DO NOT change well known and used tags with another one
> coming from an import.
>
> Especially not when the new tag is 35 chars long. Try editing that in
> potlatch.

Take a look at tagstats :

tag                     value                   uses    node    way
building                collapsed               1,045   747     298
earthquake:damage       collapsed_building      1,473   1,465   8

We have two tags to describe the same thing. One is apparently more
widespread, more conformant to published standards and semantically
superior.

What do others think ? Is tag length such an issue ? Doesnt
autocompletion solve the problem of tag length ? Is it desirable to
standardize ? Isn't it harmful to have two tags to describe the same
thing ? Is the value of harmonization inferior to the value of not
disturbing habits taken in the last few days ? Do we have past
experience or a policy for such things ?